Places we’ve tried, tested & ultimately loved!
- London – you really are spoilt for choice, there’s somthing for just about every taste and budget, but whenever I’m in town, my first choice is always London Bridge Hotel. Mostly for the quality & comfort of its rooms & the central location, but add into the mix some regular offers and promotions – you’re easily onto a winner!
- Norfolk – check back later
- Edinburgh – we rented an luxury apartment with friends on the Royal Mile. Perfect location, a complete ‘home away from home’ kinda stay & the lovely owner was only a phone call away for any of our needs.
- Paris – We stayed in a bijou boutique hotel The Five it was quite a one-off experience! The hotel is named such as it is designed to engage & excite all five senses, each room has its own unique design (and fragrance!) – loved it!
- Loire Valley – we toured the Loire Valley by car & made several stops en-route. All were lovely & a superb standard, but Chateau de Noizay has the best memories of an unexpected intimate evening banquet of delicious local cuisine all prepared by the owners for us & fellow guests from all around the world – its only a small hotel so twas a lovely intimate experience.
- Barcelona – check back later
- Camping – check back later
- Algarve – we have been here on countless occasions & stay in a variety of villas & apartments, but Villa Citrus has been the best by far; for space, pool, layout, views, location & facilities for everything; it wins… hands down. We especially love the outdoor cooking area complete with dining space under the pergola next to the pool. We will be going back!
- Siena – before we arrived, we thought we were taking a chance on Max Hotel Executive, with it being on the outskirts of Siena. We were so glad that we took that chance; our initial reservations about the location, were soon dispersed – it’s right next to a bus stop that goes straight to the ‘centro’ bus station in 10 minutes. Not only is this hotel a a great stay in terms of all that you would hope for with facilities and customer service, but the restaurant far exceeded any expectations that we had when we decided to have a ‘lazy meal’ at the hotel on our first night – what a delightful surprise this hotel was.
- Umbria – while in the Val D’Orcia UNESCO area of Tuscany, we decided to take a detour an hour south to Orvieto and opted to stay at at Agriturismo Cioccoleta. The warmth of the welcome from Alex and Angela is felt from the moment they open their door to you – you really are ‘at home’ while away from home. The attention to detail is present all around you, the breakfasts prepared (and cakes baked) freshly every day, and they give you all the time you need to help you plan your day to be the best it possibly can, with recommendations, directions and so on. Sincerely hoping we are in the region again someday, so we can return to this little gem.
- Rome – check back later
- Santorini Luxury – we stayed for our honeymoon (in the honeymoon suite) at Remezzo Villas in Imerovigli. It’s quite unlike any place else, carved into the side of the rock it’s a 5* cave, with tropical rain shower & the best sunsets right from your very generously sized verander. The owner Vassillis is exceptional, he really knows how to look after his guests and everyone has their stay tailored to their needs, he will organise anything and everything for you. For a stay to leave you with most beautiful memories – stay here.
- Santorini Budget – yes we are lucky enough to have been to this great island twice. On our return visit while backpacking we stayed with the wonderful Poppy at Villa Manos – we opted to upgrade our room to have a kitchenette, but there is a mix of accomodation types here from dorm rooms, to standard room & en-suite and of course the self catering room & en-suite. The price you pay to stay here may be budget, but the welcome you will receive and the facilities on offer here are far from that. The central location makes a great base for exploring the whole island and the pool is the perfect way to cool off after your jaunts. Read about our time at Villa Manos here and also here.
- Crete – we stayed in several places in Crete but this Stone-built cottage in a village near Rethymno was quite a find. It’s remote; we loved the peace & sense of escape. The accomodation is great; it oozes rustic charm & yet it has all the modern conveniences. The hosts are beyond welcoming & helpful, yet give you complete privacy (note this accomodation is attached to the owners residence but is completely self-contained). Not to mention this place is a bargain – no regrets here, a stunning little stay.
- Prague – check back later
- Munich – check back later
New York – check back later
Las Vegas – check back later
Los Angeles – check back later
San Francisco – check back later
Death Valley National Park – check back later
Yosemite National Park – check back later